Crossroads Care provides support to carers and people with care needs 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The Care Worker’s working pattern will be agreed between them and a senior member of staff.
Job title: Carer Support Worker
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
Main aims of the post
- To provide high quality respite breaks to support carers and people with care needs including emotional support.
- To provide personal care when required.
- To carry out domestic tasks as stated in the care plan.
Duties to include
- To assist with personal hygiene, for examples, helping the person with care needs to have a bath or shower or to go to the toilet.
- To assist with dressing / undressing, choice of clothes and personal appearance.
- To support the person with care needs with their medication.
- To assist with mobility including use of wheelchairs, hoists etc
- To assist with a therapeutic programme designed by a medical professional, where appropriate.
- To provide emotional support, companionship and a safe environment for those in need of supervision and help.
- To carry out basic first aid and summon emergency services.
- To report any concerns about abuse or the welfare or safety of any adult or child there is contact with at work to a line manager / nominated person / person on call.
- To undertake specialised tasks ONLY as agreed in the care plan and after appropriate training, for examples, administration of medication by specialised techniques and assistance with oxygen therapy.
- To support the person with care needs with activities outside their home, for example community activities, shopping or attending medical appointments.
- To provide support with organised group activities for people with care needs, where appropriate.
- To prepare simple meals and drinks and provide assistance with eating / drinking.
Health and safety
- To implement, operate and maintain safe systems of work in accordance with Crossroads Care policies, procedures and guidance, training and associated risk assessments.
- To report to your manager any situations or issues for concern relating to significant foreseeable risks, incidents (including near misses) and / or accidents which give cause for concern in relation to safe systems of work (affecting your own health and safety or that of others affected by your work activities).
- To be committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable adults and children.
- To work at all times within the philosophy and policies of Crossroads Care.
- To comply with the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and with Crossroads Care policy, paying particular attention to the reporting of dangerous situations.
- To attend supervisions, appraisals, team meetings and trainings to ensure that high quality standard of service is maintained.
- To respect the personal choice and lifestyles of colleagues, carers, and people with care needs, ensuring that Equal Opportunity principles are applied at all times.
- To comply with the Code of Conduct.
- To undertake any other duties that may be considered commensurate with the level of the post and that are set out in the care plan.